Skipping Christmas

Who *hasn't* felt the way Luther and Nora Krank feel when they decide to sit this Christmas out? Identification with that feeling immediately connects you to the main characters of this charming, outrageously funny book. The societal pressures the Kranks have to face in their quest for a non-holiday holiday are those that, while made larger for the sake of fiction, we all face when deviating from the norm. More subtly, I imagine Grisham has illuminated what it must feel like to be one of the small groups of Americans who don't celebrate Christmas *any* year.
I dare not say more lest I give away any of the plot of this absolutely terrific book. Just read it, you'll love it -- as long as you're looking for something fun. This book is not meant to be great literary fiction. It is a light-hearted Christmas tale with a sappy ending. (Would you really want anything different for a Christmas story?) It's a quick read (I read it in two hours) and laugh-out-loud funny. I actually laughed myself to tears reading this book -- a first for me!

I highly recommend this tale as a respite from the stresses of the holidays -- perhaps while waiting to get on a plane to your holiday destination!

My favorites books © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*