Eat This Not That Supermarket Survival Guide



If you enjoyed the last Eat This, Not That then wait till you get your hands on this one. The last guide was great, but when you don't eat out often there are only so many times you can use it. Everyone goes to the grocery store so the information in this guide is indispensable. It's amazing the items you will find on the Not That side. Many of which, seem like they would be the healthy choice. Not so! The Barilla Plus pasta I was so thrilled to have switched to? On the Not That side. You'll also find many wheat breads, "healthy" cereals, granola bars, etc... It would be hard for me to say enough great things about this book. My girlfriend and I LOVE it and we will never again go shopping without it. It plainly helps you see what you should be getting and all the things that need to be avoided. This is a guide real people can use. We all like to indulge and have our treats, but do we have to waste 400 calories on mint chocolate chip when there is another non diet brand for 150? It just makes sense. My favorite features include: The salad bar decoder, The fruit/veggie guide and the sandwich maker. Somehow they make mayo sound like a disgusting addition to a great hoagie when before it was what I always used. My only complaint is the meat decoder matrix thing. I can't quite understand what those ratings mean. (If you know please feel free to leave a comment. I would much appreciate it.) Also I was a little sad seeing the rabbit listed as a great protein when I have two live rabbits hoping around me. Then, that is just personal opinion and people have the right to eat what they want. Neither of those things effect the 5 star rating for me though. This book is endlessly fascinating. I keep picking it up and exclaiming things to my other half and she does the same whenever she picks it up. This guide is going to have a very positive effect on what we eat and how we shop.
Examples of this part of the book. For instance, pages 176-177 feature corn chips. The conclusion, if one chooses to get some corn chips, is to purchase and eat products like Snyder's of Hanover Multigrain (130 calories, 5 grams of fat [0 grams of saturated fat], 110 milligrams of sodium) and not those like Frito's Original Corn Chips (160 calories, 10 grams of fat [1.5 grams of saturated fat], and 160 mg of sodium). Or take frozen pizzas, if you must. Think in terms of buying Palermo's Primo Thin Margherita (260 calories, 12 grams of fat [5 grams of which is saturated], and 520 mg of sodium)--not DiGiorno's Traditional Crust Pepperoni (770 calories, 35 grams of fat [14 grams saturated], and 1430 mg of sodium). Some of the comparisons as those above are quite stunning, and suggest that doing some decision-making at the store can have nutritional consequences. Some interesting features--Survival guide for supermarket tips (pages 2-9), including a depressing check of stated calories per serving on the package and what the book says are the real calories per serving. the 20 worst packaged foods for a person in the country (e.g., Haagen-Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream; the book suggests purchasing Edy's slow churned peanut butter cup ice cream instead), tips on which produce to purchase for nutritional kick, "making sense of meat," tips on snacking, and so on. But, in the final analysis, it is the tips on which are the best and which the worst, in terms of nutrition, products in a variety of food categories. This book provides a nice service along those lines. I had thought that this would not be particularly useful when I ordered it (one look at the wild and wacky cover illustrates one reason for my pessimism), but I am happy to say that my doubts were not realized.

My favorites books © 2008 Por *Templates para Você*